Living is not easy. We are neither animals nor plants, who can live without clothes or survive through sun rays. We are humans, who need food, clothes and shelter. However, these things don’t come free. We cannot just acquire food, shelter and clothing through wishing or just by looking at the sky. To earn it, we need to work for it. We work so that we can buy not just our needs but also our wants in life.
“Money makes the world go round”. Judging by today’s events, situations, and happenings, the quote mentioned is pretty true. However, these situations cannot be fully understood if you haven’t tried working to earn money. Asking money from your parents is just as hard as working for it. You will never realize the value of money, until you want it too badly or you have lost it.
Have you heard the story of Carlos Slim? One of the richest men in the world, whose net worth is down by $27.1 billion last year. He used to rank as the 2nd richest, right after Bill Gates. But today, he is declared as one of the 2015’s biggest losers on the billionaire list. He was once the king of investments. In spite of being intelligent, he failed to manage his expenses wisely. So, the moral is – when big people like him can fail, who are we?
Due to new technologies and inventions today, I guess saving money is one of the hardest things to do. There are many temptations around us today like new and trendy heels and shoes, latest style of dresses, new and better brands of make-up, new released gadgets, limited edition bags and perfumes and so many things that you cannot either enumerate. Life is not just about happiness, there will come a time where we will encounter hardships and financial issues in our lives.
Also read: Most Expensive Home In the World
Table of Contents
- 101 Financial Secrets To Know Before You Are 30
- 1. Learn The Word “Budget”
- 2. Avoid Lavish Spending
- 3. Learn to say “NO”
- 4. Record Your Expenses
- 5. Create A Right Budget That Is Enough For Your Money
- 6. Know Your Needs From Your Wants
- 7. Estimate Or Change Your Standard Of Living If Necessary
- 8. Know Your Priorities
- 9. You Can Try Doing A Cash Budget
- 10. Avoid Having Credit Card Debts
- 11. List All The Things That You Need, Not Want
- 12. Minimize Electricity Consumption To Save Some Money On Paying Bills
- 13. Learn How To Cook
- 14. Bring Lunch Or Snacks With You
- 15. Always Save For Emergency Purposes
- 16. Find A Part-Time Job Or Another Source Of Income
- 17. Practice Saving Up Money For Big Purchases
- 18. You Should Pay Your Bills On or Before Its Due Date
- 19. Learn About Investment
- 20. Enjoy Yourself At Home
- 21. Learn To Be Creative When It Comes To Fun And Leisure
- 22. Enjoy Your Day With Your Friends Outside
- 23. Not All Good And Fun Things In Life Have Price
- 24. Not All Fun Comes From Things
- 25. Borrow Money Only If It Is Really Important
- 26. Be Vigilant When You Have Borrowed Something From Others
- 27. Pay Your Credit Card First Religiously
- 28. If You Do Not Need Money, Do Not Apply For Loans
- 29. If You Really Need Money, Look For Lower Interest Rates
- 30. Though You Are Paying Loans And Debts, Don’t Forget To Save Money
- 31. Open A Checking Account Differently From Your Parents
- 32. Open A Savings Account On Your Own
- 33. Inquire About Retirement Account As Early As You Can
- 34. Know And Learn About Health And Life Insurance
- Practical Saving Tips For Women
- Helpful Saving Tips For Men
Read How I Struggled With My Life…
Based on my experience, earning money at a very young age is hard. During my high school days, I went to school during weekdays and worked on weekends. Working is easy to say but hard to do. The money I got from working is what I used for my enrollment and buying my school supplies. I have even tried working household chores for others, being a crew on a bakery shop, and a seller at a grocery store.
If you are still depending on your parents, you should think of saving. I am not saying or writing this just to brag how hard working or a loving daughter I am. I am writing this to tell people who can read this that living and surviving in this world is not easy.
101 Financial Secrets To Know Before You Are 30
Whether you are working or dependent on someone, the important thing is to learn the value of money, even if it is a penny. For a healthy financial life, ensure to incorporate these tips.
1. Learn The Word “Budget”
In most cases, people recklessly spend money without knowing its value. Spending money recklessly is just like putting all the hard work in vain. Budgeting is a way to save money for future uses. Based from my previous experiences, it is easy to spend money, which you have not earned. If you are working to earn, then you should know how hard it is to have money. Knowing that, you will also be careful in spending it.
2. Avoid Lavish Spending
This attitude is being realistic. If you are just receiving money from your parents or earning just enough for your needs and expenses, then forget about buying expensive items such as designer bags, shoes, dresses and perfumes. If you are planning of having a meal at a fancy restaurant then, forget about it. If you are earning just right, having that expensive meal might go overboard and there is a tendency that you will experience shortage of money.
3. Learn to say “NO”
Learning to say no is being tough when it comes to money. When strolling around the mall, you can see many beautiful things that you may even think that you want to buy it. However, they come with a big price tag. There are times when these items are out of your budget. If you still take a step further to buy it, you are at a risk financially. Save this money for those rainy days. Remember, a penny saved is like a penny earned.
4. Record Your Expenses
By doing this, it will help you assess all the things and the amount that you have spent for the previous days and weeks. You will also get to know if you have been over-spending in these past few days or not. By recording your expenses, you will also have the chance to reevaluating your expenses and adjusting the way you spend.
5. Create A Right Budget That Is Enough For Your Money
Plan your meals and just buy things, which are adequate for your earnings. You can create a graph with percentages allotted to each needs.
6. Know Your Needs From Your Wants
Determining your wants from your needs will help you stop buying the things that you do not really want.
7. Estimate Or Change Your Standard Of Living If Necessary
If you have magazine subscriptions, I guess, it is time to cut it down. Living life lavishly when you are just earning right is not good if you want to save money.
8. Know Your Priorities
Allot budget to things that are as important as food. This will help you weigh things in a different way.
9. You Can Try Doing A Cash Budget
Every payday, allot a definite amount of money for things you need. Say for example, food, clothes, and bills in separate envelopes. Once the money in an envelope runs out, it means that you should already stop spending for that category.
10. Avoid Having Credit Card Debts
Although debts are unavoidable, if you really are involved in emergency cases, but avoiding them is really a good choice to save money. Having debts, especially credit card debts will just drag you down because of high interest.
11. List All The Things That You Need, Not Want
During grocery shopping on paydays, you need to list all the things that you only NEED to buy, not want. For example, you need to buy milk because you ran out of milk. Buy only the milk that you need, avoid looking on other products.
12. Minimize Electricity Consumption To Save Some Money On Paying Bills
Doing this can save even a small amount of money during paying time. And watch TV less. Reading a book is also an option to spend your free time.
13. Learn How To Cook
Learning how to cook will save you from fast foods and expensive restaurant specialties. Ordering meals at fast-food chains or restaurant will just cause you more expenses. Cooking your own meal will not hurt you if you try it.
14. Bring Lunch Or Snacks With You
During workdays, we always tend to get hungry because we use much of our physical or mental energy. Going to a cafeteria will just waste your energy and money. Instead, bring a packed lunch or snack such as sandwich to save money from buying canteen food.
15. Always Save For Emergency Purposes
We do not know when we will need money. Emergency cases such as accidents or health issues are inevitable. That is why it is better to be ready in case you encounter these times in your life.
16. Find A Part-Time Job Or Another Source Of Income
For you to save money faster, finding another source of income is an option. Having a job is good to pay all your expenses but it is better to have another source of income for others aside from basic expenses.
17. Practice Saving Up Money For Big Purchases
This attitude is being patient. Rather than buying appliances such as TV in installment basis, it is better to save up money until it becomes enough to buy a TV. Buying items in cash can save up the interest you can pay in installment.
18. You Should Pay Your Bills On or Before Its Due Date
Who would think that paying bills on time could save up money? Instead of paying the penalty fees of paying late, you can pay your bills on time so that the money you spent on fees can be used for another purpose.
19. Learn About Investment
One way of saving money is investing. There is no right or appropriate age to learn about investing. However, I think, the earlier the better. Learn how to use your money to have impressive returns.
20. Enjoy Yourself At Home
Fun is not always found outside. Sometimes, it is more amusing to enjoy yourself at home. Watch movies, make some snacks and read books to not only keep yourself entertained but also to keep you away from spending dollars and dollars outside.
21. Learn To Be Creative When It Comes To Fun And Leisure
Meeting with friends does not necessarily mean that you need to spend money for a snack or coffee. You can invite your friends to ride a bike; touring around your neighborhood or have a happy talk with them while walking.
22. Enjoy Your Day With Your Friends Outside
Having fun with your friends is a good idea but you don’t need to spend much. You can go out for picnics at parks and bring some snacks with you while enjoying the scenery around.
23. Not All Good And Fun Things In Life Have Price
Many towns have free programs such as cultural events, concerts and movies; you can enjoy a day with your friends there.
24. Not All Fun Comes From Things
Bonding with your family and relatives is also fun. You can talk with them, crack a joke and spend time with them so that you can bring not just happiness but also fulfillment.
25. Borrow Money Only If It Is Really Important
There are times when you will get sick or do not have enough money to pay some fees at school. If this is the case, there is no harm in borrowing but at the same time, ensure that you will be able to repay on time.
26. Be Vigilant When You Have Borrowed Something From Others
When you need something, say for instance, a 4-wheeler, because you have something important to attend to and you have rented a car from a friend, you need to be extra careful while using it. This is because if something goes wrong, you will be the one to pay for it.
27. Pay Your Credit Card First Religiously
Normally, credit card debts have higher interest that is why; pay them first so that interests will not add up. Trust me, if this happens, it will drag you down more.
28. If You Do Not Need Money, Do Not Apply For Loans
Sometimes, other people apply for loans just because they have something to buy. However, it is not a good habit. Do not apply for loans unless you need it the most.
29. If You Really Need Money, Look For Lower Interest Rates
If you don’t have an option other than to borrow money, check for loans that have lower interest rates compared to others.
30. Though You Are Paying Loans And Debts, Don’t Forget To Save Money
Even though you are paying your debts, saving money should not be stopped. Though the money you are saving is not that big, saving money over the years will really make it big.
31. Open A Checking Account Differently From Your Parents
Opening a checking account does not require a right age. But, it is really good if you try to be financially independent when it comes to your finances. Learning this earlier will help and train you how to use money wisely.
32. Open A Savings Account On Your Own
Having your own savings account is a great choice. Whether you do have a purpose for saving money or not, it is a good practice to start saving money on your own.
33. Inquire About Retirement Account As Early As You Can
When talking about retirement, it does not necessarily mean that you need to be old. It is a good thing for you to learn these things as early as you have time.
34. Know And Learn About Health And Life Insurance
“Health is wealth”, is a popular quote. In order for you to save money more in the future, you need to take care of your health. But it is inevitable that sometimes you will get sick and that is why, you need to apply for insurances. Later on, when your health depreciates, you do not need to think about the hospital bills.
For me, the list in the previous page is general and a part of the 101 financial secrets you should know before 20. However, the tips above are not very elaborative, when it comes to basic daily life. Because, man has different needs & wants from woman. Woman has different necessities that are needed every day from a man.
Due to this, the tips may differ when it comes to gender. Hence, I need to further detail some tips for men and women, so that even at a young age, a person can understand and if given the chance, apply these tips to daily living for a better future.
Practical Saving Tips For Women
- Instead of going into salon for manicure and pedicure, do your very own nails.
- When you order and take out some food, instead of paying through credit card, use your cash to pay.
- To be fit, start working out at home.
- Buy only the things such as dresses that you can wear often.
- Women love to preserve their beauty and skin, use natural products.
- If you want to go somewhere, use public transportation.
- If you want to browse the newly released songs, watch them on free sites such as YouTube.
- Unless you do not have something that you need to buy, never visit or drop at any fashion store.
- Buy the things that you need such as hair pins, make up wipes and any other in bulk.
- Turn of the appliances that you do not need.
- Instead of using body wash, use bar soap, which has the same ingredients and effects.
- Plan your meals.
- If you are hungry, never ever go on grocery shopping.
- Designer items are not always cool and trendy.
- At the end of the day, do not forget to drop your coin change into a jar.
- If you want to earn extra money, doing a garage sale is one of the best ideas.
- To warm up your morning, make your own coffee drink.
- Always, bring cash with you.
- Instead of buying cleaning tools, research on how to make your own tools.
- Compare the prices of the things that you wanted to buy.
- Fast foods everyday is not always good.
- Before buying goods at the grocery store, always check the expiration date.
- Always, monitor your savings at your bank.
- If you want to unwind at a different place, buy your ticket in advance.
- Avoid smoking and do not do drugs.
- If you have shopaholic friends, do not try to follow or compete with them.
- Learn to take care of your things properly.
- Buying items that are on sale is not a bad thing to do.
- Learn to find and use alternatives on the items that you wanted to buy.
- Withdraw money from your bank.
- Wash your clothes on your own instead of bringing them into a laundry shop.
- Be creative when it comes to your things.
- Start taking care of your hair instead of going to a hair salon.
- Plan or set a day without spending.
- Declare to yourself a “non-meat day” at least once or twice a week.
- During your payday, spend only less than you earn.
- Start paying up your bills online.
- Invest in things that can last longer.
- Sell unused products such as shampoo online.
- Cut down unnecessary phone service.
- When going into an adventure trip, borrow the necessary things from your friends.
- Before buying items, make sure to weigh the pros cons of buying it.
- Instead of going to a bar with your friends for a drink, invite your friends over.
- Health is Wealth.
- If you want to achieve a specific look, make it happen using the things in your closet
- Avoiding ATM fees is also a way of saving money.
Helpful Saving Tips For Men
- Minimize in going to computer gaming shops.
- Prepare your own meals such as breakfast.
- Purchase quality items.
- Men have naturally active social life; limit the times of going out.
- Quit drinking and smoking.
- Men usually are conscious to their body built; going to the gym is not always the solution.
- Instead of doing some expensive hobbies, books are good asset.
- When on trips, bring your own food and water.
- Shave using a safety razor.
- Avoid buying multiple razors by extending its life.
- Sometimes men are just too busy with their life but washing and ironing their own shirts is also saving up money.
- Instead of going to a barbershop, try cutting your own hair.
- When going to a grocery shop, bring a list.
- Reduce the times of dining out at a restaurant.
- Instead of facing the computer during your free time, buy some board games for entertainment.
- Save energy and electricity.
- You do not need a landline phone if you already have a cell phone.
- During occasions, make your own gifts instead of buying it.
- If you have something to fix around your place, borrow tools from your friends.
- Plan weekly menu meals.
- Try to be a vegetarian occasionally.
Apply these financial secrets to make sure that you are leading a proper financial life and managing your expenses the right way. If you feel, I have missed writing something important here, feel free to drop it in the comments box.